Our Journey

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Last week of being 32

So this is my last week of looking at life through 32 year old eyes. I have to say, this has probably been one of, if not the toughest year for me. 
The stresses of life: infertility, adoption, aging parents, work, church... that pretty much sums it up right there. It's not that some people don't know how infertility can effect EVERY aspect of your daily life, it's that some just seem to over look the fact of all I have to deal with. I honestly do not feel the support from those people around me. I have my group of gals that I can talk to, but they are not always available when I am in meltdown mode.  So I had a meltdown last Sunday. 

I love it when people are like "just relax". That is not easy for me. I have an inherited temper. All the women on my dad's side do. Pretty much anything will set us off. Oh, yes, family reunions are fun... 
Then on the other hand, I am very timid in some situations. I can remember on a college chorus trip to Atlanta, trying to get the attention of a smoothie bar employee to order... I stood there, and stood there, like hello, can you not see I am standing here. Finally got ill and walked off. One of my fellow choir members, Zack, asked why I hadn't gotten a drink too. I made up the excuse that I didn't really want one, but he figured out that was not true. He was going to go back and get it for me, but I told him it wasn't worth the trouble and thanked him. 
I remembered that instance Friday night as I stood at a bar trying to order a drink... standing there, not being noticed by the bar tender... again. And I went back to the table and told my girl friend, I couldn't get our drinks ordered. But my feisty little friend waltzed up there and got the job done. So apparently, no matter how old I am, I will always need that one person to stand up for me... until I loose my temper. 


~In memory of Zack~
Thank you for standing up for me.



I have also been reading up on Insulin Resistance as well.  My doctor feels that this is my main issue in PCOS. Here is a little of what I have read.


What is insulin?
Insulin is a hormone made by an organ in the body called the pancreas. The food you eat is broken down into into simple sugar (glucose) during digestion. Glucose is absorbed into the blood after you eat. Insulin helps glucose enter the cells of the body to be used as energy. If there's not enough insulin in the body, or if the body can’t use the insulin, sugar levels in the blood become higher.

What is insulin resistance?
If your body is resistant to insulin, it means you need high levels of insulin to keep your blood sugar normal. Certain medical conditions such as being overweight or having PCOS can cause insulin resistance. Insulin resistance tends to run in families.

What can insulin resistance do to me?
High insulin levels can cause thickening and darkening of the skin (acanthosis nigricans) on the back of the neck, axilla (under the arms), and groin area. In young women with PCOS, high insulin levels can cause the ovaries to make more androgen hormones such as testosterone. This can cause increased body hair, acne, and irregular or few periods. Having insulin resistance can increase your risk of developing diabetes.

No comments: